Albert Park is one of Auckland’s most important parks with its central location in the heart of the city, its long history and distinctive character.
The papakainga (village) that occupied the site prior to European settlement was named Rangipuke. In 1845 the Albert Barracks were built there.
At one corner of the park is the Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki and gardens, and on the other side is the original park-keeper’s cottage, which is now a museum of memorabilia. The park also features a range of statuary and memorials, as well as formal flowerbeds, a Victorian fountain and mature trees.
Princes Street, Auckland Central